Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week 4 Blob Entry


4-22-2012

I have anguished over this blog entry for a couple of days now.  I really don’t like writing or talking about myself especially in the positive as I learned at an early age that “self brag s half scandal” I a practitioner of Zen and trying to reach a point of development where I do not require validation from anyone but myself as long as I remain objective and skeptical of myself to a high degree.    

I am an amalgam.  I see several leadership styles in me. None are inclusive.  I seem to be a mixture of several different styles.  Much of this I developed out of my basic character and was shown to be successful in business, education, and ditch digging.  Well, everything except technical.  Not a strong point but I could hire those who complimented me in this area.  As a teacher, on my own, it is a constant struggle to be better in this area. 

I do see myself strong in human relations except that I know and remember ego motivations.  So things enter the equation that some may not want them to.  Does that make sense?   I am a science philosopher and the main thing I try hard to remove is my own feelings and opinions and think more along evidential lines.  Not always popular.

I also see myself significantly a part of being educational, symbolic, and cultural. 

Sorry. But this is what I objectively see and I think it is this combination, combined with a life of incredible experiences that have directly linked me to insight into human behavior and motivations, and not being afraid to state my thoughts and fight for what is right no matter the consequences to me, might make me a good addition to my school as a teacher leader.

Sorry.  I hated this blog.

5 comments:

  1. Ray, thanks for sharing what contributes to bringing about the characteristics of your leadership styles. I can see many of those qualities in you as we have interacted in this class.

    I agree that it is important to surround ourselves with those who are strong in areas that we are weak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray, Your post was very well done. I really liked that you said, "reach a point of development where I do not require validation from anyone but myself as long as I remain objective and skeptical of myself to a high degree". Reaching a point where you do not require validation from anyone can be very hard. Sometimes I wish I was that way, it would be nice to not always want to know everyones opinions and thoughts. Remaining objective and skeptical is also a very difficult thing. Since I started teaching and have been seeing so many parenting styles I have become very opinionated about children especially when it comes to things about how their being raised and what not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reaching that point is something I have strived for most of my life. It's very difficult though and takes a LOT of practice. I am open to the same ego defense mechanisms that everyone else is but I'm working on it.

      I think we should be concerned about how kids are being raised. We are experts in so many areas of childhood development and have received training both formal and informal in this area. We see sides of kids their parents won't or can't.

      Funny thought, you said you liked what I said about self actualizing and that made me feel good which takes me farther away from mu goal. My thoughts crack me up sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ray,

    This was a difficult blog entry for me as well. I appreciate how you saw different areas of strength you have in each of the leadership styles. I personally think that is what makes a good leader. You can identify and relate to different types of people, which is a great skill to possess. Very Zen. I agree with Ryan, you have shown these skills in our class and it has been great working with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have to be master eccelectics to be effective. We borrow from everything and we are constantly changing.

      I thank you for your comments too. It has been my pleasure to be working with you as well.

      Delete